image1 image2

HELLO AMIGO|YOU'RE AWESOME|YOU'RE A PARTY|YOU'RE THE BEST

Reckless Abandon

I'm currently sitting in my dorm room, and although I have so much to say, and hopefully will get to in upcoming posts,  the one thing I cannot stop thinking about is how strange it is that at this time last year, I was begging not to be in this state, on this campus, in this room. It's crazy to think that everything that I cared about, everything that I was engrossed in, is thousands of miles away. I am living my life with a practically new slate here. The past is irrelevant and only helpful as I remember the lessons that I've learned over the past few months.

Do not ever, ever, ever run from what God is calling you too. I did. It's funny that we can talk about how much we want to and even DO follow Jesus, but God doesn't call us to only follow Him in word, but also in deed (1 John 3:18). God calls us to reckless abandon.

Look at Abram. God called him to simply follow. Abram didn't even know his destination. The Lord called, and he packed, and he left everything that he knew.

Look at Peter. He was in the middle of a storm. He was on a boat. Jesus called out to him. "Walk on the water," He said, and Peter got out and walked.

I am nothing like these heroes.

I'd like you to journey with me to yesteryear. To a time when civilization was still beginning to take root. There was this man, a prophet, named Jonah. Jonah was a solid guy. He spoke about God's Word. He was religious. He was devout. One day, God called him to a new pace, Nineveh. Jonah was not only afraid to go as the Ninevites were know to practice severe torture methods, but also, he loathed the Ninevites. They were enemies of God, and yet God wanted Jonah to go and share His redeeming power with them. Jonah ran the opposite direction. He got an a boat, was stuck in a storm, and was subsequently swallowed by a very big fish. Jonah lived in the fish for a time until the fish belched him onto shore. He made his way to Nineveh, and did as the Lord said.

Maybe you can relate. I know I can. This past year I ran from what God's plan for me. I craved the comfortable. I had my own plans, and they weren't bad plans. In fact, they were great plans, but they were not God's plans. When I decided to run, God put me through the fire. I was forced to not only face my present struggles, but also my past, and to follow God into my future. It wasn't fun. Actually, it really sucked, but coming out on the other side, I feel more alive than I have in a long time.

I'm on a new adventure, a new journey. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm taking one step at a time, and with the Lord as my guide, I won't get lost.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments :