image1 image2

HELLO AMIGO|YOU'RE AWESOME|YOU'RE A PARTY|YOU'RE THE BEST

I Am a Quitter

I like to stay busy. Also, I'm an optimist and a romanticizer. This means that I take on a lot--like a lot, a lot. I tend to take on way more than I can handle and then...I freak out. Seriously. When I take on too much, I end up hiding. In my room. Under a blanket. Eating gummy candies. Just like any sane person would do. This is the ebb and flow of my life: has nothing to do, takes on more responsibilities, has too much to do, goes off the grid and takes lots of naps, and repeat. I could make you a chart if you'd like, but I think you get the picture. Growing up, our family motto was always, "Sleep when your dead."

Anyway, this has definitely gotten me into a lot of trouble. Especially since I have moved out on my own. As a wise man once said, "With great power comes great responsibility." Unfortunately for me, I tend to not use the power of my time with so much responsibility. Through my trial and error process of learning to manage my time, here are some things that I have learned:

1. Your time is a valuable asset. In fact, your time is probably the most valuable asset you own, and please remember that you do own it, and you are in charge of it. You give power to whatever you give your time to whether that's relationships, your job, or your own well being. A lot of people like to use the phrase "investing your time." I think that explains this picture of time perfectly. You will reap from whatever you are investing your time in--good or bad.

2. You get to choose how you are going to spend your most valuable asset. No one else is in charge of yourself but you. You can choose to show up or not. It's all on you. In fact, fun fact--no one can actually make you do anything. You make the decision to do what you do, daily. Every minute, you make the choice to do or not do something.

3. Saying yes to things is very important. One value I hold very dear is saying yes to things. Saying yes is very important. When you say yes to one thing, who knows what could happen next. Saying yes is an adventure that you have the opportunity to embark in, so don't shy away from the wonderful yes-es that come your way.

4. Saying no to things is even more important. Some may disagree with me on this one, and that's okay. This is the big lesson--the one I've been learning slowly but steadily. Opportunities come our way every day, and yes, the more we say yes to, the more opportunities will open up to us, BUT (this is the big but) if we do not say no to the things of the past, we cannot take on more yes-es in the future. It should be a constant pattern in our lives, take in and empty out. As much as I would like to say that I can take on everything, there's actually only so much I can do. I am in charge of myself though, and I get to pick and choose what I am going to do. This doesn't mean that I say no to everything every time I take something new on. This means that I am wisely evaluating what is productive in my life, what is the best use of my time, and I am growing those things. The rest, the things that are less productive, I am constantly working to clear out.

Think of it as decluttering your closet. I enjoy having nice clothes, and occasionally, I like to go shopping; however, if I kept everything I had ever bought, my closet would be WAY to full. Instead, when I buy things, I have to go through and figure out what I'm going to keep and what I'm going to get rid of. Obviously, if I get rid of something, it's going to be the thing that I don't enjoy wearing as much, the things that are less flattering on me, as time goes on, if I get rid of the stuff I wear less, I will have cultivated a wardrobe that fits and flatters me perfectly.

5. So, it's okay to be a quitter. In our culture today, most people would look down on quitting something, but I want to give you permission right now. This is permission to let go of the things that are robbing you of your oh-so-valuable time. You are important, and your time is important. Imagine all the things that you could be doing, all of the best yes-es that you could be making if you freed up your time for them. This looks different for every person, so I'm not even going to begin telling you how to do this. We are all different people, so the best yes for you may not be the same best yes for me.

I recently acquired and promptly quit a job as a barista. I loved working as a barista. In fact, it has probably been one of the best work experiences I have ever had, and I am so grateful that I was hired and had that opportunity. Do you want to know why I quit? Because although I need a job (and yes, I do actually have one right now. I'm not crazy.) by keeping the job that I had taken, I was not saying the right yes. It was taking my time in ways that I was not prepared to give, and so, I said no to one job so that I could take on better yes-es, things that flattered and fit me, things that would grow me in the long run, the things that God has called me to do. No, it wasn't easy. Yes, it was so very important.

"Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil. So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is" (Ephesians 5:15-17).

Just as I believed in myself enough to say no to things, I believe in you as well, friend. Go out and be a quitter.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments :