image1 image2

HELLO AMIGO|YOU'RE AWESOME|YOU'RE A PARTY|YOU'RE THE BEST

You Need Help (And So Do I).

I am the queen of hair-brained schemes. Seriously. I will be the first to admit that I have an over active imagination. Combine that with a heart soaked in romanticism, and you've cooked up a recipe for disaster, aka my entire life. I am brilliant at coming up with (well-intentioned) plans that most in their right mind would take one look at and realize are doomed for failure. Thanks to that romanticizing I just mentioned, I am usually blinded to the fact that my plans could go wrong. This means two things. Either--1) My over the top plans succeed, and I can check off another fantastical amazing thing that I've gotten to experience to my list of fantastical amazing things, or the more likely option 2 happens--I get myself into a heck of a mess. Through God's grace, I haven't met a mess yet that He hasn't saved me from, and so far, consequences have been limited.

I don't like help. It's very difficult for me to accept assistance and even harder for me to actually ask. Recently, I had the brilliant idea to spend my summer in Phoenix, Arizona. I had some friends who would be spending their summer months there, and I had a few plans made already for summer activities. I was graciously given a place to stay [Mealeys, if you're reading this, thanks again]. I had some cash saved up from the previous months, and I had high hopes of acquiring a job. So, I did what any sane person would do, I began applying for jobs, calling businesses, walking in, and speaking to managers. I picked up a few odd-jobs here and there when the opportunity presented itself. I even got a few interviews, but all roads led me to mid-June when I officially ran out of money. It was a rough moment. I began to close myself off. I was ashamed of myself, and I was disheartened. Although I shared my plight (in passing conversation) with a few around me, I really never shared how difficult of a time I was having. My wonderfully generous grandma heard that I was having trouble and offered to fly me back home to stay until August when I will finally get to start work. I immediately accepted and hopped on a flight the following morning.

Getting on that flight was actually very hard, even though all I had to do was show up and sit down. I felt like my ego had been squashed. When I stepped on that flight, it meant that I was admitting that I couldn't handle things on my own. I needed help. It felt like giving up, but now looking back, I can see that I just got to move on to a new victory. Instead of worrying about funds for the next month or so, I was going to be able to spend time with family and make some great memories that will last me a few months until my next trip home.

Influential author, speaker, and pastor, Louie Giglio, wrote masterfully on accepting help, and I'd like to share his thoughts with you.

"From an early age, we are taught to be proud, strong, and independent. None of those things are wrong, but when it comes to our Christian life, the paradigm has to shift. Jesus invites us to rest, to trust, and to depend on Him" (Giglio, 2017).

As Christians, we are called to a life of surrender, and that includes surrendering our pride and accepting Jesus' help, and what a wonderful calling it is! The fact of the matter is that with any challenge that we face, God is bigger and Jesus has overcome. This means that we can trust Him. With anything that comes our way, we get to choose to partner with the one who can handle it all. We don't have to attack it on our own. We don't have to try harder. We just have to say yes to taking one step at a time and leaving the rest up to Jesus Christ.

I'll leave you with one final word.

"Be still. Be patient. Expect the Eternal to arrive and set things right" (Psalm 37:7a, The Voice).


Giglio, L. (2017). Goliath must fall: winning the battle against your giants. Nashville, TN: W Publishing Group, an imprint of Thomas Nelson.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments :